October Monthly Facts
Here at the APEX Museum, every month is Black History Month. We would like the share the month of October’s significance in Black History.
- On October 4 of 1864, the first daily newspaper produced by African Americans began, called the New Orleans Tribune.
- The world famous singers of Black spirituals, the Jubilee Singers of Fisk University, performed in front of the Queen of England in 1871.
- In October of 1937, the Negro Dance Group is formed by Katherine Dunham. The Negro Dance Group performed African American and African Caribbean dances.
- On October 27 1954, Benjamin Davis Jr. became the first Black Air Force general.
- On October 25, 1997, African American women joined together for the Million Woman March, focusing on healthcare, education, and self help.